help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Internationalisation

From: Tim Marston
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Internationalisation
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 17:46:10 +0000

Hi Lorenzo,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 09:10:16PM +0100, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> > So, I just wanted to make absolutely sure that you are OK with this
> > behaviour before I embark on making the changes!  Am I OK to proceed as
> > planned?
>
> then probably I missed something when I proposed the command line
> switch: if backward compatibility is broken anyway (from what I
> understand), then it makes no sense to have the command line switch, we
> just bump the major version number.

Yes, OK.  I'll finish off my changes (I need to update the testing
framework and documentation and probably a few other bits and bobs) and
I'll let you know when I've got something more complete.

> What is crucial though is that if no internationalization file is
> available and if gettext is not part of the user's library everything is
> transparent...
>
> Would that be possible?

Yes, it should be.  The code at the top of cmdline.c (or whatever is
generated) includes code wrapped up inside "#ifdef HAVE_GETTEXT" so
that help strings are still constructed and line-wrapped at runtime,
but localisation only takes place when the user's configure.ac detects
gettext.

All the same, I'll test this on a system where gettext isn't part of
libc.  Can you suggest one that I can use for testing?

Kind regards,

--
Tim Marston
ed.am