help-gawk

Re: time zone for strftime

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: time zone for strftime
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 19:45:37 -0600

Peng Yu wrote:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/html_node/Time-Functions.html
>
> I don't see a way to specify a time zone for strftime when converting
> an epoch time to the time zone time. Is there a way to do it? Thanks.

The manual says this:

    'strftime('[FORMAT [',' TIMESTAMP [',' UTC-FLAG] ] ]')'
         Format the time specified by TIMESTAMP based on the contents of the
         FORMAT string and return the result.  It is similar to the function
         of the same name in ISO C. If UTC-FLAG is present and is either
         nonzero or non-null, the value is formatted as UTC (Coordinated
         Universal Time, formerly GMT or Greenwich Mean Time).  Otherwise,
         the value is formatted for the local time zone.  The TIMESTAMP is
         in the same format as the value returned by the 'systime()'
         function.  If no TIMESTAMP argument is supplied, 'gawk' uses the
         current time of day as the timestamp.  Without a FORMAT argument,
         'strftime()' uses the value of 'PROCINFO["strftime"]' as the format
         string (*note Built-in Variables::).  The default string value is
         '"%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"'.  This format string produces output
         that is equivalent to that of the 'date' utility.  You can assign a
         new value to 'PROCINFO["strftime"]' to change the default format;
         see the following list for the various format directives.