help-flex

Re: Flex/gcc compatibility

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker
Subject: Re: Flex/gcc compatibility
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:18:33 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Gordon (Jake) Jacobs wrote:

>  I'm trying to port some 10-year-old lex/yacc code from SUN
> to a RedHat Linux8 machine which comes with flex/bison. I can
> run flex on either the SUN or Linux box without any errors being
> reported, yet when I try to compile the resulting c code, lex.yy.c,
> I get tons of errors some examples of which are shown below:
>
> asmLex.l:8: parse error before '*' token
> asmLex.l:8: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

Line 8 of asmLex.l is your redefinition of input().  Such redefinition
is an officially unsupported (i.e. non-standardized) hack in original
lex, and not supported at all by flex.

Get rid of that input() override and you might be getting somewhere.

If you keep getting parse errors, you'll have to investigate the
actual produced C source code, or even a preprocessor dump of it.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (address@hidden)