help-flex

Re: Bison/flex compatibility revisited

From: John
Subject: Re: Bison/flex compatibility revisited
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:35:16 -0500 (EST)

Let's back up for a minute. There are two namespaces that are getting
confused. There is the linker namespace, which is the namespace that
the prefix is intended to preserve, and there is the macro namespace,
which is just an irritation we've brought upon ourselves in attempt to
preserve the linker namespace.

> flex should generate and expose the renaming macros that enable the
> flex-generated code to work with bison, etc.

We can't guarantee that we will use those macros in the future in
order to create the prefix namespace. There is a better way to solve
this without macros at all.

Future revisions of flex may generate the mangled symbols directly,
instead of passing the buck to the C preprocessor as it does now.