Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Rob Davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:02:26 +0000

The start menu is involved because I noticed when monitoring file/registry
activity during the act of pinning Emacs, I saw that windows was looking at the
Emacs.lnk file that happened to be in my Start Menu.   That shortcut didn't
have an AppID.  When I put GNU.Emacs in for the AppID, *then* pinning correctly
created a pinned shortcut with the AppID.

I assume when pinning, Windows looks for various clues as to what AppID to give
the shortcut.  It also looks in the registry for things too.  I assume it
wasn't able to determine what AppID to use for me until I set it in the
shortcut in my Start Menu.

Does the shortcut icon on your desktop have the AppID set?  How did you create
that shortcut?
(I just tried dragging runemacs.exe with a right-click and choosing "Create
Shortcut here" and that one did not have an AppID.)

I'm not sure how the one in my start menu got the app id.  I suspected I must
have run addpm at some time and that added the appid, but it doesn't have code
to do that.  (And running addpm used to be necessary or at least very useful -
moreso than recently, so I know I've run it occasionally to set registry
entries and environment variables, but I typically don't.  But I remembered it
when see the Start Menu being examined during pinning and thought that using
addpm might be a difference in what I do that could be causing different
behavior.)

Rob