Re: [h-e-w] Emacs for Windows

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs for Windows
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 14:14:59 +0200

That's wonderful.  Do all the DBUS features work as expected?  Did you
succeed to pass all the tests in the testsuite (dbus-tests.el)?

Sorry, I didn't check that yet. I will definitely look into that as time permits!

In the Windows build, we generally don't like statically linking
against optional libraries, we load them dynamically if and when
needed.  So it would be good if you could add the necessary code to do
that with DBUS, and submitted the patches for inclusion.  The changes
are quite mechanical, you can see in image.c and in gnutls.c how this
is done.  TIA.

Yeah, I also thought it to be strange that only DBUS was left out as an explicit dependency... ;)

I can tell you how to avoid that dependency, if you don't
already know.

Sure, I am aware how to do that. This dependency comes from the fact that some external feature DLLs were not linked with '-static' flag because all of them are actually taken from MSYS2. In MSYS2 for a good reason they of course don't link statically GCC runtime into packages. I would have to manually rebuild all the external feature DLLs with '-static' flag to remove any explicit dependencies to GCC runtime, that's no problem. I didn't do it this time because I simply wanted to quickly test the feasibility of actually producing a stable and feature-rich 64-bit build and to see whether it would be interesting to the community at all. Now since I see that it could be useful, I will gradually perform what we've discussed here with you and I will make an announcement when it's finished. Then you could once again do control check if everything is alright.

Thanks for your time and comments, appreciate it. Hope to return with quality results to you soon.

Kind regards,
Alexander