Re: [h-e-w] make-frame function read in .emacs in w32 ver 23.3 but not 2

From: E. Caudex
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] make-frame function read in .emacs in w32 ver 23.3 but not 24.2
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:33:53 -0600

Thanks, Eli and Drew. The newline is indeed an artifact of Thunderbird
line wrapping, it's not in my .emacs . The mystery here is that my two
Emacses:

C:\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe --debug-init

and

C:\emacs-24.2\bin\runemacs.exe --debug-init

are using exactly the same .emacs at

\Users\....\AppData\Roaming

The debugger flags buffer position at caret below. In other words it
says it can't select-frame courier right after creating frame courier,
ostensibly at least. Also, both fonts are installed in \Windows\Fonts.

(make-frame '((name . "courier")
        (top . 1) (left . 1) (width . 123) (height . 18)
        (visibility . icon) ; nil or icon
 ))

;; I checked parens balancing in above form

(select-frame-by-name "courier")^
(set-frame-font\
"-outline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")
;; the above set-frame-font is all on one line in .emacs

>>> (make-frame '((name . "courier")
>>>            (top . 1) (left . 1) (width . 123) (height . 18)
>>>            (visibility . icon)))
>>> (select-frame-by-name "courier")
>>> (set-frame-font "-outline-Courier
>>> New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")
>>
>> In the current development version, the backtrace is more informative:
>>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Font not available"
>>
>> So the problem is that newline embedded in the middle of the font
>> name.  If I remove the newline, replacing it with a blank, I see no
>> backtrace.
>
> FWIW - I was assuming (still am) that the newline you see in the mail was
> inserted because of mailer wrapping.  I just replaced it with a space (what
> should be there) for testing.
>
> In all Emacs versions I have, including the latest MS Windows development
> version I have, there is no error.  But if I remove the last paren of the
> `make-frame' sexp (for example), then I get exactly the error the OP reported.
> (And not an error about a missing font.)
>
> The question, I think is whether the `make-frame' actually succeeded.  My
> guess
> is no, and my guess is that the sexp was incorrect (e.g. missing a paren).

I have Paren Match Highlighting turned on and it isn't showing anything
missing.

> Up to the OP now to clarify some of this, else we can be supposing all over
> the
> map.

make-frame appears not to have succeed but when ver 24.2 is loaded there
are 2 frames, both using Arial-Unicode (proportional font). The first
frame has a name that changes each time the buffer is changed (i.e.
.emacs, *Message*, whatever and seems to be an artifact of the debugger
not returning to top-level; if I do M-x top-level the name changes to
arial in version 24 also) On version 23.2 this is named arial and
derives from

(setq initial-frame-alist '((name . "arial") (top . 370)\
(left . 1) (width . 205) (height . 18)))

and

(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "ghostwhite"\
:foreground "black" :inverse-video nil :box nil\
:strike-through nil:overline nil :underline nil :slant normal\
:weight normal :height 108 :width normal\
:family "outline-arial unicode ms"))))

The other frame is named courier and this name doesn't change when the
buffer is changed.

Btw, someone on gnu.emacs.help recenty wanted to have a fixed font frame
to view calendar thru and he used something similar to my setup without
reporting any problems. However I don't remember whether he was using
ver 24 or not.

* I added blackslashes to show line continuation (they're not in my .emacs)

Thanks again,

Ed