Re: [h-e-w] Favorite font for Emacs

From: Fidler,Matt,FORT WORTH,R&D
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Favorite font for Emacs
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:14:22 -0500

I like Inconsolata

http://levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

Matt.

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Gary Oberbrunner
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 3:01 PM
To: Sarir Khamsi
Cc: ntemacs

I'm a big fan of Droid Sans Mono Dotted at 10 point.  (Just google it)

Here's my .emacs stanza to load it:

(setq preferred-fonts
      '(
        ;; Droid Sans Mono: quite nice.
        ;; 15 pixels total height at 10 point.  Clear & crisp.
        ;; (e.g. http://www.fontex.org/download/Droid-sans-mono.ttf)
        "Droid Sans Mono Dotted-10"
        "Droid Sans Mono-10"
        ;; Consolas: download installer from Microsoft.
        ;; Quite beautiful and renders nicely, but a little light.
        ;; Pretty similar to Droid Sans Mono.
        ;; The slanted verticals on the capital M annoy me a little.
        ;; (16 pixels height)
        "Consolas-10.5"
        ;; Inconsolata: lots of people like this.
        ;; http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html:
        ;; about same size as Consolas-10.5, but thicker and less leading
        ;; (17 pixels height) and not as smooth lines.  Feels chunky.
        "Inconsolata-12"
        ;; default
        "Courier New-10.5"))
(defun find-first-font (list)
  (cond ((null list)
         nil)
        ((x-list-fonts (car list))
         (message (concat "Using font " (car list)))
         (car list))
        (t                              ; recurse
         (find-first-font (cdr list)))
        ))
; set default font attributes (for all frames)
(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font (find-first-font preferred-fonts))

-- Gary