[h-e-w] Re: Behaviour of Emacs on Windows 7 taskbar

From: Mark Shroyer
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Behaviour of Emacs on Windows 7 taskbar
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:13:47 -0500

On 8/4/2010 11:36 PM, David Vanderschel wrote:
> If you minimize Emacs, an icon appears on the taskbar.  If
> you then pin that icon to the taskbar, it will be there even
> if emacs is not running.  The problem is that the icon
> apparently points to emacs.exe, so, if you click it when
> emacs is not already running, you wind up with that
> unnecessary and objectionable cmd window.  So I went to bin,
> found runemacs.exe, and told Windows to pin that to the
> taskbar, which it did.  Now, I can start Emacs without the
> cmd window, by clicking that taskbar icon.  The bad news is
> that when you minimize emacs, it creates yet another icon on
> the taskbar separate from the one for runemacs.

My workaround is to pin emacs.exe to the taskbar and runemacs.exe to the
start menu.  When I want to start Emacs I have to use the shortcut in my
start menu, but once it is running I can just use its taskbar icon as
normal.  This works reasonably well for me because I typically start
Emacs once per desktop session and then just leave it running...

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/