Re: [h-e-w] Status of EmacsW32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Status of EmacsW32
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 01:22:41 +0100

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Brian Elmegaard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit confused about the status of EmacsW32.
> As far as I understand the development of the W32 add-on has stopped, but
> new Emacs versions are still released with the add-ons.

No, it has not stopped, but I do not have much time for it now. I just
added a note on EmacsWiki that I actually upload more often then I
have told, but to a test area.

> However, I have been using the patched version and it seems that only the
> unpatched version is updated with the most recent emacs.
> Aren't the patches needed anymore?

The patches are still not in Emacs - so yes they are needed if you want them.

> Could anyone clarify what to do to update emacs? An BTW would it be possible
> to install emacs from gnu and do the W32 addons manually?

You can not do the addons without compiling Emacs from sources.
(However of course nXhtml can be downloaded separately.)