[h-e-w] Re: [windows Q] `emacs here' like windows power tool `cmd prompt

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: [windows Q] `emacs here' like windows power tool `cmd prompt here'
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:59:37 -0500

Eli Daniel <address@hidden> writes:

> Harry,
>
> I think you're putting the entries for files in the wrong place.
>
> The * in my instructions was meant literally -- open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, and
> find a key called * (it's the first child of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT on my XP
> system).  Open that, and find a child called "shell", creating it if it
> doesn't exist.  Beneath HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell, you can create a key
> whose name is the name of the menu item you want, and beneath that, create a
> key called "command".
>
> So for me, the structure looks like:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> |-- *
>   |-- (... various other things are here)
>   |-- shell
>     |-- Open with Emacs
>       |-- command

Thanks...
I see what you mean about the asterisk (*)... I hadn't noticed it
there before.

For some reason my structure is slightly different

 HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
 |-- *
   |-- (... various other things are here)
   |-- shell <= ***MOVED STUFF HERE***
     |-- shell
       |-- Open with Emacs
         |-- command

One layer deaper...
There's more under the second instance of `shell' but related to other
things.

I moved to the top shell subdir as indidcated in the diagram, and now
things are working.

Thanks again