Re: [h-e-w] 23.1.50; "The directory .emacs.d/server is unsafe" problem

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] 23.1.50; "The directory .emacs.d/server is unsafe" problem
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 02:15:03 +0200

2010/6/14 Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>:
> 2010/6/13 Václav Haisman <address@hidden>:
>
>> I am getting the following error right after installation of patched
>> Emacs, when it tries to start to let me configure it. The directory
>> .emacs.d/server did not exist before I intalled Emacs.
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "The directory
>> `c:/Users/wilx/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe")
>
> It'd be good to know whether it also fails with an unpatched Emacs, but
> still...
>
> Most likely, the message means that your .emacs.d/server failed one of
> the following two checks:
>
>                   (unless (eq t (car attrs))   ; is a dir?
>                     (throw :safe nil))
>                   (unless (eql uid (user-uid)) ; is the dir ours?
>                     (throw :safe nil))
>
> Assuming it is indeed a directory, that means that the id of the owner
> of the directory does not match the user running Emacs, i.e, that
>
>  (nth 2 (file-attributes
> "c:/Users/wilx/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/server" 'integer))
>
> is different from what (user-uid) returns.
>
> Could you please try both things in your Emacs instance and report
> what you find? Also, you could try deleting .emacs.d/server and
> recreating it.

There is a very long thread on

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsW32

that I have not deleted in case the problem should show up again. The
solution mentioned there is to just delete .emacs.d/server as Juanma
suggested here.

I do not remember the details now, but I think it is related to
privilege escalation in the sub process started from the installer. It
seems that this is working differently on Windows versions after XP. I
am running XP myself so I do not know that very much about it. If
anyone wants to step in and fix this problem with the installer (which
uses Inno Setup) I would be glad.