RE: [h-e-w] Antialiased fonts in emacs 23.2 for windows

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Antialiased fonts in emacs 23.2 for windows
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:57:41 -0700

> I'm having trouble getting antialiased fonts to work correctly in
> emacs 23.2, to the extent that it appears that it doesn't actually
> support antialised fonts.
>
> If I do the following in emacs 23.1:
> (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-9.0:antialias=subpixel")
> (describe-font nil)
>
> Then this reports the full name as "DejaVu Sans
> Mono-9.0:antialias=subpixel", and the font looks nice and smooth.
>
> However, doing the same thing in emacs 23.2 gives the full name as
> "DejaVu Sans Mono-9.0" and the font looks nasty and chunky.
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I can't answer your question about anti-aliased fonts.

But I can say that I use Windows's so-called font-smoothing, and it works great
- with pretty much all the fonts I have.

Just in case you're not familiar with it and want to try it:

1. Right-click the desktop background and choose Properties in the menu.

2. Go to the Appearance tab and click the Effects button.

3. Turn on "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts".

4. Optional - I choose ClearType in the dropdown list.