Re: [h-e-w] How to full pathname in modeline

From: x_emacs-windows_x
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] How to full pathname in modeline
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:00:39 +0000

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 07:59:56AM -0700, Sarir Khamsi wrote:

> I generally dislike responses that don't answer the question, but
> might I suggest using the frame title instead:
>
> (setq frame-title-format
>   '((buffer-file-name "%f" (dired-directory dired-directory "%b")) " - "
>     invocation-name "@" system-name))

Hi, and belated thanks for the replies to my question.  I agree with
both that it's nicer to have the filename in the title bar.

Both the above solutions work for me but they obviously differ in a
few ways which I am curious to understand.  The problem is I've not
yet attempted any elisp and so it's all still a bit cryptic.

Is there any relevance in the use of setq-default vs. setq?

The first solution uses (revert-buffer-function ...), and the manual
for revert-buffer-function seems to imply some relationship to dired
mode.  I couldn't see any difference between the two solutions in
dired mode.  What does this construct do?

I tried to re-order the second solution as follows, but it just
displays an "@" in the title bar:

(setq frame-title-format
  '(invocation-name "@" system-name " - "
   (buffer-file-name "%f" (dired-directory dired-directory "%b"))))

So far all my emacs tweaks have been made through the customisation
buffers, with a little help from rtfm.  Am I right in thinking that
frame-title-format cannot be set via any of the customisation buffers?

Thanks for all your help.

Bernie.