Re: [h-e-w] Re: Case insensitive file name completion

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Case insensitive file name completion
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 23:54:47 +0200

Brian Elmegaard wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Try setting completion-ignore-case to t, and see if that helps.
>
> This lead me to the solution. I customized
> read-buffer-completion-ignore-case and now it works.

Just to make this more clear: When this was discussed on the developers
list it was decided that file name completion should ignore case when
the file system does that (ie on ms windows).

However when it caome to buffer names it was said that they are not
different just because the file system is case insensitive so they
should not be made case insensitive.

I am not sure that the last decision was the most intuitive one, but it
make sense if you use Emacs on different systems. Personally I would
have preferred that buffer names to were case insensitive by default
because I think that is what most users will expect.