Re: [h-e-w] Adjusting Emacs, please help

From: TriKri
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Adjusting Emacs, please help
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:53:03 -0700 (PDT)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Try this:
>
>   M-x set-variable RET tab-width RET 4 RET

M-x set-variable, that could be a useful command, thanks! Unfortunately that
doesn't help me now, cause I don't insert tabs to indent, but let emacs
insert a number of spaces. That number is independent of the tab width.
There is also a variable called standard-indent, but it don't seem to have
any effect.

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> It's easier to rename mingw32-make.exe to make.exe.  But if you want
> to keep the original name for some reason that evades me, the variable
> you want to customize is `compile-command'.

Thanks! I didn't think about changing the name of the exe-file, but I find
it better and faster to change the setting in emacs.

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Btw, is there any reason you couldn't find all this in the manuals
> that come with Emacs?

What manuals, do you mean those in the info catalog? They aren't especially
user friendly by my opinion. What file should I start reading? I have
browsed with google, even went into gnu emacs home page and looked in their
manual, but didn't find anything that could help me, at least not with
changing the indent width.