Re: Fwd: [h-e-w] Unable to use Terminus bdf font under ntemacs 23

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Fwd: [h-e-w] Unable to use Terminus bdf font under ntemacs 23
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 01:00:21 +0100

Yu-ning Feng wrote:
> Did you mean try "Terminus" or "-GuoBiao-Song-*"?

Terminus.

> However, after issueing font setting for one of both, I
> "describe-char" and find the font of cjk chars is
>  -outline-Arial Unicode
> MS-normal-r-normal-normal-16-120-96-96-p-*-gb2312.1980-0
> (I am using chinese-gb2312 charset)
>
> Is there something I wrongly config?

No, that is normal. Emacs should use a gb2312 font for gb2312
characters. Since the font you specified was an iso10686 font, it only
matches the mule-unicode character sets, and other fonts are
automatically found - Arial Unicode being the first one encountered for
gb2312.

It may be slightly confusing here that Windows has the ability to
translate between unicode and various other character sets via
codepages, so although Arial Unicode is a unicode font, it is able to
provide a gb2312 version. BDF fonts are displayed directly by Emacs,
with no such translation.