Re: [h-e-w] Problem displaying different cursor types in Emacs 22

From: Nicholas Sandow
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem displaying different cursor types in Emacs 22
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:42:25 +1100

David Vanderschel wrote:
I set such things on the default-frame-alist.  E.g.,

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((top . 3) (left . 40)
        (width . 105) (height . 44)
        (cursor-color . "Red")
        (cursor-type . bar)
        (foreground-color . "black")
        (background-color . "gray88")
        (font . "-*-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-18-108-*-*-c-*-*-ansi-")))

Works for me.  Nicholas, have you tried doing it that way?

As I recall, there are some timing issues about when
these parameters are noticed and take effect; but I
don't recall the details.  I override the size and
placement above in my initial-frame-alist (so that my
initial frame is normally recognizable as such).

Thanks for the suggestion David.

Unfortunately, no dice. I tried just that code in my .emacs and still my cursor was a skinny stick of a man, only a shadow of his former solid, blocky self. (I could be sure that default-frame-alist was taking effect because my background was gray, etc.)

However, I believe I've solved my problem.

The short version is that, when Windows Narrator is running, the Emacs 22 cursor becomes a 1-pixel wide vertical bar, and Emacs 22 has no control over it. Emacs 21 doesn't seem to behave like this. At least, that's what seems to happen on this machine.

I had a suspicion it would be some sort of Windows setting giving me grief, because as I noted before, this bar cursor problem wasn't evident on the other Windows XP machines I tried. I don't use narrator, but for some reason it was "running" without showing the normal dialog box or making any sounds which might have alerted me to its presence. Anyhow, problem solved.

Thanks for the tips.

Regards,
  David V.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicholas Sandow" <address@hidden>