[h-e-w] C-x C-f *.txt RET (WAS: how to close all buffers at once?)

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] C-x C-f *.txt RET (WAS: how to close all buffers at once?)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:49:32 -0400

Yes, Mathias, exactly like C-x C-f *.txt RET.

By including the question mark and happy face in your response,
do you mean to imply that C-x C-f *.txt RET will open all the
files in the CWD that have a TXT extension?  Because it doesn't,
for me.  What it does is open a new buffer called *.txt.

Then upon pressing C-x C-s, I get this (unsurprisingly):

basic-save-buffer-2: Opening output file: invalid argument,
c:/mypath/*.txt

For the curious, I'm running Win2K SP4.  My Emacs version is
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2006-03-21 on YAMALOK.

But I've had this problem for several years, starting with WinNT SP3
and Emacs v20.3.