[h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer

From: Rex Dieter
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer (.msi) format
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:08:52 -0500

Lennart Borgman wrote:

Windows. Please go to
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WThirtyTwoInstallationKit for more
information.

I don't see any other project listed there creating *.msi* installers...
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now at least your project is mentioned there ;-) I think we have taken very different paths,

True.

I would be glad if we somehow could mix our efforts.

As it stands, my .msi installer is little more than
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/emacs-21.3-bin-i386.tar.gz
Plus
* site-lisp.d/ modification for auto-loading (which I used for Macaulay2-emacs integration).
* minimal Windows integration (Registry configuration, Start menu shortcuts)

You certainly have an excellent EmacsSetupHelper with nice windows customizations, far beyond what I've done. I tried Running EmacsSetupHelper on top of my .msi-installed Emacs and it worked nicely (After re-installing Emacs to the expected /Program Files/Emacs/Emacs-21.3 location). A couple of questions about EmacsSetupHelper regarding it's "Windows Integration of Emacs" option: Associate selected file types. As I didn't see any file types listed or selected anywhere, what associations are made?

Once I know these details, I can make a new .msi which includes EmacsSetupHelper (and it's customizations).

Lastly, I wonder, has there been any effort to push your customizations (w32-feeling, Gnuserv / gnuclient namely) upstream? They would be nice additions.

-- Rex