[h-e-w] Offline files and delayed writing

From: Brian Elmegaard
Subject: [h-e-w] Offline files and delayed writing
Date: 03 Feb 2005 19:00:40 +0100

Hi Group

I have an annoying problem with emacs on my laptop. All the files I
work on are on a network drive, so when I am offline they are located
in a compressed form in the CSC directory and the directories and
files I see are their unzipped form.

This gives me a problem when saving a file in emacs (and the matlab
editor btw). When I press C-x C-s the file is saved, but the save is
not immediately reflected in the directory listing. First the file has
to compressed, then written onto the hard disk and after a while the
directory is updated. This fools emacs to think that the file has been
saved outside by another application. The file is reverted and the
whole undo history is deleted.

Can this be avoided?

tia,
--