Re: [h-e-w] Problem with character encoding when loading and saving text

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem with character encoding when loading and saving text files
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:34:42 +0200

Hi Georg,

Georg Lundesgaard <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm having problems with Emacs when editing text files including
> norwegian characters (æøåÆØÅ). When I edit the text in Emacs and
> save it to file it uses utf-8 character set but the file is marked
> as ansi when opening the same file in Notepad.

Files are not marked with an encoding in Windows.  Notepad is just too
stupid to try UTF-8.  If this works on your system with UTF-8 files
that Notepad creates itself, this is probably because Notepad adds a
BOM marker to the beginning of the file (doing that is not recommended
for UTF-8, but Notepad does it anyway).

> This makes the norwegian characters unreadable. When I save a text
> file in Windows using the UTF-8 encoding and open it in Emacs it
> seems like it is read using the latin-1 code set.
>
> How can I configure this correctly?

Did you try using (set-language-environment "Latin-1") or even the
more low-level (prefer-coding-system 'iso-8859-1-dos) in your
~/.emacs?

benny