Re: Openning Word documents without MS Word (WAS: [h-e-w] Another proble

From: Tom A Baker
Subject: Re: Openning Word documents without MS Word (WAS: [h-e-w] Another problem with MinGW shell in Emacs: directorytracking)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:54:29 -0400 (EDT)

>    Sebastiao Barata <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > ST>"better" is up to you, but that's what I do. I'd get away from Windows
>    > ST>entirely if it wasn't for all those MS Office docs I keep getting in
>    > ST>the email.
>    >
>    > You can use OpenOffice.org (it is the name of the software, and the site)
>
>    Hmm. I tried Open Office from Sun; is that the same thing. It is _not_
>    100% MS compatible. People here keep up-to-date with MS office, so I
>    have to also.

Is 100% required?  One would have to use either a good fakeout or Word itself.

When I don't need that, I just use catdoc.  (In dired, put cursor on the file,
then capital-X, type "catdoc" and hit enter.  Outputted text is in a scrollable
buffer.)
http://www.gnu.org/directory/All_Packages_in_Directory/catdoc.html, Works in my
Windows.

Tom Baker