Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv problem

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv problem
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:43:17 -0600

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:12:22AM -0600, Nikolaus Vonessen wrote:
> Hi!

Howdy, neighbor.

> I have trouble using gnuserv.  If I understand it correctly, if a
> program calls gnuserv with a file name (say paper.tex), gnuserv is
> supposed to
>
> 1) start gnu emacs with paper.tex if gnu emacs is not yet running;
> 2) if gnu emacs is running:
>      2a) if there is NO buffer paper.tex, to create one.
>      2b) if there already exists a buffer paper.tex, switch to it.
>
> Case 2b) does not work for me (see "PS" below why this case is
> important for me).  I should add that I have gnuserv open up files in
> a new frame (seemingly the default).  I like it that way and want
> gnuserv to behave that way (just not in Case 2b) if the buffer already
> exists).
>
> Some specifics:  I am using:
>
> Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4)
> GNU emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195) of 2003-03-27
> auctex 11.13
> gnuserv-2.1p1.zip  (the name of the gnuserv zip file)
> MiKTeX 2.3
>
> Thanks for any pointers!

Take a look at the source for gnuserv for the command line switches
you can use.

If you don't get satisfaction from gnuserv, look at using gnudoit and
a bit of elisp to get exactly waht you want.

--

"We won't tolerate a police-state atmosphere at airports."
        -- Transportation Security Administration Deputy Steve McHale

"[McHale]'s from the ATF. Isn't that the agency that shoots first?"
        -- Krys Bart, Reno/Tahoe airport.

Wall St. Journal 22 March 2002 page 1.