Re: [h-e-w] RF help using sort-numeric-fields

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] RF help using sort-numeric-fields
Date: 30 Jun 2003 17:33:48 -0500

On Monday, June 30, "Peter Lee" <address@hidden> wished:
>Even better would be a way to sort based on a rectangle.

>A sort-rectangle function would be ideal for me.

You can make a macro to do this:

    Select the rectangle, lower right corner first.
    Kill that rectangle.
    Yank it into a temporary buffer.
    Sort the lines.
    Kill the rectangle from the buffer and the buffer itself.
    Yank the sorted rectangle back into the first buffer.

(See Node: Rectangles in emacs info.)

Peter, please note that this issue is a general emacs
question, not specific to the NT (or Windows) port of
emacs.  For getting help on such issues, the news
group gnu.emacs.help is the preferred resource.  There
are also more beginners in that forum who can also
benefit from seeing the responses you may get to such
pleas for help.

Regards,
  David V.