Re: [h-e-w] lpr-region on Windows XP

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] lpr-region on Windows XP
Date: 28 Jun 2003 21:39:03 -0500

On Sunday, June 29, "Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden> wrote:
>ps-print-region works correctly when I use the various tips from this
>list over the past year.

>lpr-region doesn't for reasons that don't make sense to me.

I ran into this recently on buying a new printer.  I
have come to believe that the problem is that these
inexpensive modern printers do their rasterization on
the host processor and thus fail to support, at the
hardware level, the sort of protocol emacs expects for
LPR output.  Windows applications apparently use an
API for printing which can successfully access the
drivers for these new devices.

At this point, I have come to believe that I have no
choice but to go the PostScript route and let
GhostScript interface to the printer.  But, if I am
wrong about this, I am eager to hear about it.

I also experienced the minimal action symptoms on my
printer.  However, I currently have the printer on the
parallel port, in which case that symptom is less
surprising since a straightforward attempt to print
via the parallel port will send out some stuff (mostly
irrelevant) which the printer will try to interpret.

Regards,
  David V.