[h-e-w] gnuserv for mail, news, and file association [was Re: dired-exe

From: Michael R . Wolf
Subject: [h-e-w] gnuserv for mail, news, and file association [was Re: dired-execute-file]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:36:24 -0700

Michael R. Wolf <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Three addtional "the other way" cases I'd like to have work are...
>
> 1. click on mailto link
>   current: open Outlook Express
>   desired: open gnus (or even mail-user-agent for those mh, sendmail folks)

> 2. click on a news:// link
>   current: open Outlook Express
>   desired: open gnus (or even mail-user-agent for those mh, sendmail
>   folks)

> 3. *.txt -> gnuclient association in Windows Explorer

Raymond Zeitler started a thread that yeilded my preferred answer,
from Richard M. Heier.

As for the first 2, I found an answer. It works for mail, but not for
news. Check out the "Associating..." link, and page down a bit to the
solution I used for Internet Explorer.

Here's a new snippet I've got in my .emacs file. The links mention how
to (manually) install gnuclient, gnuclientw, gnudoit, and gnuserv.
It's a bit messier than I expected, but it gave me no problems.

;;; ================ gnuserv ================
;;; gnuclient,  gnuclientw,  gnudoit,  gnuserv
;;; Associating file to emacs
;;;   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html#assoc
;;; Gnuserv for NT
;;;   http://www.wyrdrune.com/index.html?gnuserv.html~main
;;; SendTo menu behavior
;;;   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2002-04/msg00067.html

(if (or (eq window-system 'x)
        (eq window-system 'win32)
        (eq window-system 'w32))
    (progn
      (add-to-list 'load-path "c:/cygwin/usr/local/lib/lisp/")
      (require 'gnuserv)
      (setenv "GNUSERV_SHOW_EMACS" "1") ; gnuserve will show window
      (gnuserv-start t)
      (message "gnuserv started.")
      (setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))))

--