[h-e-w] Re: help-emacs-windows Digest, Vol 7, Issue 8

From: David J. Biesack
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: help-emacs-windows Digest, Vol 7, Issue 8
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:16:27 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:41:36 -0400
> From: Ben Key <address@hidden>
>
> I am trying to  modify Emacs to use a more intelligent method of setting the
> value of compile command.
>
> I have defined a function that calculates the compile command and I am
> trying to get compile to call the function prior to displaying the
> compile-command prompt using defadvice.  For some reason it is not working.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> (defun bk-set-compile-command ()
[snip]
>  )
>
> (if (fboundp 'defadvice)
>   (progn
>    (defadvice compile (before bk-set-compile-command-advice activate)
>     (bk-set-compile-command)
>     )
>    (ad-enable-advice 'compile 'before 'bk-set-compile-command-advice)
>    (ad-activate 'compile)
>    )
>  )

You may find it easier to set compile-command in a mode function or
hook, rather as advice on M-x compile. That way, the correct command is
set when you first visit a file. Also, you can later change the compile
command if you want and your change won't get lost next time you invoke
M-x compile.

i.e. in my jde-mode-hook (JDE is the Java Development Environment
and jde-mode is bound for *.java), I do:

(add-hook 'jde-mode-hook 'jde-mode-hook t)

(defun jde-mode-hook ()
  (interactive)
  ;; snip
  (java-set-ant-command)
  ;; snip
)

(defun java-set-ant-command ()
  (interactive)
  (setq compile-command "ant -find build.xml"))

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
R&D Java Strategist  SAS Campus Drive Cary, NC 27513