[h-e-w] browse-url *always* opens new browser instance

From: Jeffery B. Rancier
Subject: [h-e-w] browse-url *always* opens new browser instance
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:07:29 -0500

Regardless of the setting:

,----[ C-h v browse-url-new-window-flag RET ]
| browse-url-new-window-flag's value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, always open a new browser window with appropriate browsers.
| Passing an interactive argument to M-x browse-url, or specific browser
| commands reverses the effect of this variable.  Requires Netscape version
| 1.1N or later or XMosaic version 2.5 or later if using those browsers.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `browse-url'.
`----

I always get a new instance.  Has anyone seen this?

When reading (gnus-article-mode), a hyperlink is identified, and RET
is associated with widget-button-press, which I'm assuming is
browse-url-at-point.  This has the same effect as running the command
interactively.  I have the following in my .emacs:

In my custom-set-variables:

 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
 '(browse-url-generic-program "h:/usr/pkg/phoenix/phoenix.exe")
 '(browse-url-new-window-flag nil)

--

Thanks,
Jeff