Re: [h-e-w] Re: Dired on windows

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Dired on windows
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 17:29:02 -0000

From: "Galen Boyer" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 5:57 AM
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Dired on windows

> On 06 Feb 2003, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > Supposed I in the directory C:/ and I hit the '..' entry, I would like
> > to got to a dired buffer that will show me available drives (a:/, c:/,
> > d:/ e.t.c) (like in "my computer")
>
> AFAIK, there is nothing for that and the same is true for VNC shares.
> Would be very useful.

Windows Script Host provides access to the FileSystem object and the Network
object, which should provide the information required about local and
network drives.  So, it should be possible to get the information into ELisp
by calling WSH (which is more-or-less what w32-symlinks does to create
Windows shortcuts without using Cygwin ln), and then hook it into dired
(perhaps via ls-lisp).

Does anyone want to try doing it, or have a better idea for how to do it?
If not then I might try it myself, but probably not any time very soon.

Galen: What do you mean by "VNC shares"?  To me, VNC means Virtual Network
Computing by AT&T Laboratories, Cambridge (UK), the free remote-access
facility, a bit like Microsoft Remote Desktop, and I don't see what that has
to do with shares.  If you mean network shares that are not mapped to drive
letters then I don't think WSH provides access to them (does it?), so a
different approach would be required.

Francis