Re: [h-e-w] TZ in Win2k

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] TZ in Win2k
Date: 21 Jan 2003 22:57:14 +0000

"Michael R. Wolf" <address@hidden> writes:

> It's unfortunate that the email Date: field is backwards from that
> definition of "sensible".  Here's a recent example.
>
>     Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:21:53 -0500
>
> It's my understanding that the date field shows local time for the
> sender, and is followed by a TZ-ish number.

The Date header shows local time followed by an offset from UTC, or
sometimes a 3 letter abbreviation of the timezone name. This is the
same as what the Windows control panel shows. The TZ environment
variable shows the 3 letter abbreviation for the local timezone
followed by an offset to get _to_ GMT, which is backwards from how
most people think of timezones.