Re: [h-e-w] NTEmacs Network installation for multiusers

From: Thomas L Roche
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] NTEmacs Network installation for multiusers
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:24:45 -0400

address@hidden Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:00:02 +0100 (BST)

address@hidden 10/22/2002 01:08 PM
> What is wrong with quick fixing problems with Emacs?

Umm ... you're missing the point. Consider the scenario:

0 User attempts to customize .emacs.

1 User makes simple, dumb mistake.

2 User attempts to restart emacs. It has problems (and might not even
  start, or might hit infloop, etc). User moans to admin (i.e. you).

The alternatives:

- You try to fix crippled .emacs with crippled emacs.

+ You open _emacs with notepad (or copy a known-good one from
  somewhere), fix problem.

The message: (non-Cygwin) Windows tools dislike dotfiles.