Re: [h-e-w] jittery scrollbar

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] jittery scrollbar
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:25:55 +0100

From: "Veda Larson Palmer" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 7:42 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] jittery scrollbar

> Dear Emacs folks,
>
> When I drag the scrollbar on my Windows Emacs, the buffer text jitters
> up and down by several lines, making it difficult to read as I scroll
> through a file.  This effect can be reproduced by scrolling through
> the README file and is more noticeable toward the end of the file.
>
> I am using:
> GNU Emacs 21.2.1 from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/21.2/emacs-21.2-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
> Windows 2000 service pack 2
>
> Is this a known bug?

I think the short answer is yes, in NTEmacs generally.  But there are lots
of other ways to scroll that work better.  I usually use the Page Up/Down
keys to scroll in largish steps, or click on the up/down arrows at the top
and bottom of the scroll bar to scroll a line at a time.

I think the reason for the problem is that Emacs is not quite a standard
Windows program and I assume it is sometimes difficult to relate the Emacs
and Windows ways of doing things.  For example, most Windows programs do not
allow a window to be split up in the way that an Emacs frame usually
contains multiple windows.  Word allows split windows, but that split is
much less flexible than what Emacs allows (and I wouldn't be surprised if
Word uses unadvertised APIs to do it).

Francis