Re: [h-e-w] Printing with V20.7

From: Andrew Innes
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Printing with V20.7
Date: 06 Sep 2002 01:18:36 +0100

On 27 Aug 2002 22:42:57 -0500, David Vanderschel <address@hidden> said:
>I replaced my Canon BJC-4000 printer with a Canon
>S-600.  For some reason, print-buffer (and the like),
>which had been working fine, stopped working.
>print-buffer does seem to do something, as the printer
>powers itself on automatically (a nice new feature);
>however, nothing gets printed - even when the printer
>is already on.  Regular Windows apps all seem to be
>able to use the new printer with no problem.
>
>I am running emacs 20.7 under Windows 98.  lpr-command
>is a null string.  printer-name had been "PRN".
>Changing that to "LPT1" produces an error.  Changing
>it to "LPT1:" returns the symptoms to those with
>"PRN".  The new printer is the default printer.  The
>drivers for the old printer remain present, but the
>device is not connected.
>
>This has got to be simple, but I am at a loss for what
>to look for.  I am wondering if there is some
>configuration thing for the printer itself which I
>missed, which Windows does not care about, and which
>does matter to emacs.  Any suggestions would be
>welcome.

It sounds like the printer doesn't accept plain text, which is what
print-buffer sends it.  For a long time, most printers (except
Postscript only ones) would accept plain text, and print it in Courier
12pt or something similar.

There might be a switch or option to enable such a mode on your new
printer.  If not, the only alternative I can think of off-hand is to
install ghostscript, configure Emacs to use it, and use ps-print-buffer.

AndrewI