Re: [h-e-w] Problem with end of file marker for NTEmacs v21.x on Win2k?

From: John Lee
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem with end of file marker for NTEmacs v21.x on Win2k?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:38:37 -0400

Just a quick follow-up regarding this bug; someone emailed me from this list and nicely offered the advice of setting the variable file-precious-flag to t, which seems to fix this problem. Good for a quick fix!

Thanks to all for your help.

[For the newbies: this apparently writes the buffer to a new temporary file, then renames it to the intended file name if no errors. However, one of the problems with this methodology is that it will break any hard links you have to the file.]

Thanks for the reply, and yup, you called it! It is a networked drive mapping to an SMB share on a Dell Powervault (which I believe is a BSD box running samba or something). I'm glad in a sense to hear that I'm not the only one having this problem. *heh* As to previous versions, I did find that the problem went away when I downgraded to 20.7, and I don't recall having these problems with the 19.x series. Have people been experiencing this problem accessing smb shares under Linux / other UNIX, or has it been strictly a Windows problem?

- John