Re: [h-e-w] search and replace across lines

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] search and replace across lines
Date: 25 Apr 2002 16:21:07 +0000

Lance Johnston <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering how I can do a search and replace across lines in
> emacs.

Use C-q to "quote" your newline characters, so you can actually
include them in search strings.  For example ...

> For example, let's say I have the following text in a file:
>
>   constant_text variable_text
>   {
>
> And I want to turn this into:
>
>   constant_text variable_text
>   {
>     added_text

Search for: \(constant_text <regexp for variable_text>^J{^J\)

Replace with: \1added_text

Note that the ^J's in the search string are added by typing C-q C-j.

> After trying for a while to get this to work, I think this question
> can be simplified to "How can I search across lines?", as I can't
> even get a search expression to span lines.

Think of it as "How do I include a newline in my search string?"

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis