[h-e-w] OFF TOPIC! - Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: Jeremy Bowen
Subject: [h-e-w] OFF TOPIC! - Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:06:18 +0100

Why not stop wasting everyone's time and simply install "gnuserv". This is
the right tool for the job and it's the correct way of achieving what you
want. The fact that SendTo works at all with runemacs at the moment is
probably more good luck than design.

Why not just accept that your observed behaviour is simply just the way
"Windows98" works. Trying to understand how Micro$oft writes code is
rewarding in the same way that banging your head against a wall is
rewarding. You get the most benefit from it when you stop!

You've got so much unknown cruft going on under the hood of Windoze already
that using gnuserv must surely be an improvement. It is widely used and well
understood and is NOT going to be doing "even more things that you don't
want it to". It will be doing EXACTLY what you want it to do.

Goddamnit the whole gnuserv package is less than 120k UNCOMPRESSED. You'd
waste far more resources simply by installing a service pack for Win98.

You've asked for help and have been given the solution. Anything else should
be directed to the "help-windows" mailing list (no I don't know where this
is) as it ceased to be an emacs problem a long time ago.

> One other thing is does anyone know how much Microsoft charges for a
> support call :-)

Right. Like Micro$oft is going to help you with a GPL'd program. ROTFL!!!