Re: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: Paul Whitfield
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:53:32 +0800

address@hidden wrote:

[tried sending this earlier, but got a bounce, so I'm retrying.  Sorry if this
is a duplicate.]

This interested me enough to do some digging.  It appears from comments on
various newsgroups that Win98 handles SendTo differently than Win95 or
Win2000/NT.
It probably doesn't handle multiple files, nor command line parameters in the
shortcut.

I wrote a simple app to display the parameters passed on the command line,
put it in the SendTo folder under Win2000, added a parameter to the shortcut
and tried sending multiple selected files to it via SendTo, and lo and behold,
it displayed multiple quoted long filenames and the command-line parameter from
the shortcut.  I don't have Win98 to test this on, perhaps someone could do that
test
and let us know what it does.  That might help us determine what, if anything
can be done.

Maybe wrapping runemacs.exe in a bat file with %1 %2 et al. would work, like
cquirke
suggests below.  But if SendTo does the SHIFT thing as claimed by another person
and if it starts a seperate instance for each filename, then that won't work and
there
may not be anything that can be done under Windows98.  We need more data on how
the Win98 SendTo actually operates.

Then, dare I say it, the ONLY solution would be to use
gnuserve / gnuclient

(Hides under desk)

Sorry... I could not help myself