Re: [h-e-w] ssh2

From: Bill Pringlemeir
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ssh2
Date: 07 Mar 2002 19:28:24 -0500

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard M Heiberger <address@hidden> writes:

 Richard> Does anyone have an ssh-agent2 for windows.  ssh2 doesn't
 Richard> distribute it with their windows distribution and didn't
 Richard> reply to my query.

 Richard> I need it to use pcl-cvs with a server that runs ssh2, not
 Richard> ssh.  The cygwin ssh-agent doesn't understand the passphrase
 Richard> that ssh2 uses.  I believe the difficulty is a consequence
 Richard> of ntemacs and cygwin bash not treating the *shell* buffer
 Richard> as a tty.

Putty,

"http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/";

[http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html#A.1.1]

   A.1.1 Does PuTTY support SSH v2?

   Yes. SSH v2 support has been available in PuTTY since version
   0.50. However, currently the default SSH protocol is v1; to select
   SSH v2 if your server supports both, go to the SSH panel and
   change the Preferred SSH protocol version option.

   Public key authentication (both RSA and DSA) in SSH v2 is new in
   version 0.52.

It wasn't in the NT faq as far as I know, but I imagine this will
generate many responses as the answer if probably commonly known.  I
would also point you to Tom Roche's page,

 "http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tlroche/plinkTramp.html";

A google search on "windows ssh" gives putty as the first link.  If
you used "NT ssh v2" or something like that, it does not show at
all. Btw, putty does have command line EXEs as well as the click and
drewl stuff.  Pagent is the windows `agent' that distributes
passwords.

hth,
Bill Pringlemeir.