Re: [h-e-w] cygwin supbrocess startup directory

From: Robinows
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] cygwin supbrocess startup directory
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:09:39 EST

address@hidden writes:

BASH_ENV is certainly a more elegant solution than maintaining two .bashrc
files.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I also use miktex, which has worked
very well for me.

There's also .emacs_bash   (or .emacs_sh , .emacs_tcsh, etc depending on your shell)

From: Underwood, Jonathan
I'm not sure that'll solve the problem, since auctex starts whatever
shell noninteractively. A non-interactive bash shell doesn;'t read
.bashrc or indeed any config files, unless you use the BASH_ENV
environment variable to tell it to (see man bash).

I don't use auctex at all, but from looking at the code, it does not appear to me that it wants to start a non-interactive shell, although if neither shell-command-option or shell-command-switch is set it will use the bogus option "/c" on windows.

For what it's worth, i use bash all the time through emacs, however, due
to the incomplete nature of the tex/latex distribution currently
included with cygwin, i use the infinitely better and more complete
miktex distribution (www.miktex.org) which works superbly with auctex.

As I mentioned I don't use TeX, but you may be interested in the recently updated cygwin TeX distribution.  My understanding is that it's finally complete.

This, being a native windows application runs via the cmd.exe shell, but
switching between shells within an emacs session is relatively trivial
(mail me if you need some elisp for this)