Re: [h-e-w] gnus and telnet

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnus and telnet
Date: 04 Jan 2002 21:45:18 +0000

"Harmon, Tony T" <address@hidden> writes:

> All,
>

> I'm pretty new to emacs, at least new to using it on a more full
> time basis. I have moved to version. 21.1 and am a little
> lost. Anyway. I tried putting my nntp server in the paths.el

Don't do that.  paths.el (and many other lisp files) is preloaded into
Emacs, so any changes you make to it will only show when you rebuild
Emacs.  In general you shouldn't make changes to the lisp files that
ship with Emacs, for one thing, it makes upgrading difficult, for
another, if you have problems later it is difficult to get back to a
clean Emacs.

The normal way to set the value of variables is as follows

C-x C-f   ~/.emacs

You should now be looking at your personal .emacs file, which is
probably empty if you haven't modified it before (selecting Save
Options from the Options menu, or Saving options from the Customize
interface will also write to this file, so do not panic if there are
some things there already that you do not remember writing).
Add the following line:

(setq gnus-default-nntp-server "nntp-server-address")

C-x C-s to save the file.

Alternatively, you could use Customize (in the Options menu), which
presents all the options in a structured way and gives you some help
with appropriate values. Looking through Customize is also a good way
to find out about some of the features of Emacs you didn't know about.

--
Jason Rumney