Re: [h-e-w] External utilities (Was: Cant run ediff)

From: Syver Enstad
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] External utilities (Was: Cant run ediff)
Date: 14 Dec 2001 06:57:40 +0100

Joe Riel <address@hidden> writes:

> Francis (or anyone)
>
> >The latest Cygwin ispell is available via the Cygwin external porters
>
> >link, and seems to work OK with Emacs.
>
> Do you have a URL where this exists? Pierre Humblet's cywin port,
> which I guess is what you are referring to, does not exist at the URL
>
> where several sites say that it should.

In my experience, you don't need the cygwin port to use the cygwin
tools. Most of the cygwin tools are designed to work fine under
windows, you don't need to run them under bash. You just install
cygwin, and then either hardlink the files to a directory in your path
or set your path to include cygwin\bin.

The only problem I've had was that some tools are somewhat picky about
paths with spaces, and that windows already supplies a tool named
find. The resolution to that was that I hardlinked the GNU find to
gnufind and changed the name of the find program variable in emacs to
gnufind. Another solution could be to use a batch file.

PS: Hardllinks only work on os'es that have the NT kernel, and are easiest to
implement under win2k, (the win32 api has a separate function for creating
hardlinks.)
--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad