[h-e-w] cygwin ispell and emacs 21.1

From: Underwood, Jonathan
Subject: [h-e-w] cygwin ispell and emacs 21.1
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:47:27 -0500

Hi

I'm currently running emacs 21.1 under windows 2000 and am having trouble
running ispell from within emacs. I am using ispell compiled and running
under cygwin. When run thru' emacs, i get the error message "ispell exited
with code 128". I have checked that ispell works correctly under a terminal
window (bash -c ispell), and all is well. There's nothing unusual about my
cygwin setup within .emacs:

  (if (boundp 'w32-quote-process-args)
      (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\"))
  (setq shell-file-name "bash")
  (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
  (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
  (setq shell-command-switch "-c")
  (setq explicit-bash-args '("--login" "-i"))

setting the environment variable DICTIONARY to something sensible didn't
help matters at all. Any suggestions anyone? Is error code 128 significant?

Thanks,

jonathan.