[h-e-w] Re: Emacs 21.1 released - MS Windows distribution available

From: Jim Davidson
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs 21.1 released - MS Windows distribution available
Date: 06 Nov 2001 13:59:13 -0800

Raymond Zeitler address@hidden writes:

> I thought breaking the files into less than 2MB chunks was to help out the
> people who are stuck using Internet Explorer for their FTP client.

No, the blurb in the README file (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/README)
says:

 "A second distribution in the form of multiple small .zip files is also
  provided, for the benefit of people who have unreliable internet
  connections, or who need to copy the distribution onto floppy disks"

> But I've just looked at the 20.7 files.  You're right - they're all less
> than 1.4MB.  The 21.1 "L" files *are* less than 1.4MB, but there's one more
> than before.

Yup.  For some reason the em211_b* filesfor 21.1 were pegged at 2MB, instead
of 1.4MB like they were in 20.7.

-JNim