help-debbugs

Use of packages as tags

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Use of packages as tags
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:05:06 -0400

Hi - a comment on bug#5992:

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> Package: emacs,bidi

I'd like to suggest people try not to use made-up packages ("bidi")
with the bug tracker these days. (The only remaining ones are "w32"
and "ns", for historical reasons.) Reasons:

1) It often doesn't add any information. In this case, "bidi" is also
in the bug subject, so a simple subject search would find this bug
just as easily as a package search.

2) It makes merging difficult, since bugs must be in the same package
to merge.

3) Now that the tracker is used by other projects besides Emacs,
things generally work better if all the packages are "real" ones with
real maintainer addresses.

In this case as I say a subject search would find this bug.
If you do need to add extra information to bugs, usertags are an option:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgindex.cgi?indexon=usertag;user=emacs