help-cfengine

Re: [Cfengine] Red Hat DHCP Clients

From: Bas van der Vlies
Subject: Re: [Cfengine] Red Hat DHCP Clients
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:35:46 +0200

Read the docs cfservd.conf:

 DynamicAddresses

Hosts which are included in this list are assumed to have IP addresses which can change with time, e.g. hosts which are given IP addresses by DHCP or a BOOTP like protocol.

          control:

           DynamicAddresses = ( 128.39.74.100-200 )  # DHCP range

If cfservd receives a connection from an IP address that is in this list, and trustkey is true, the existing key for that IP address can be replaced with a new key, and the old key is recorded in a "used keys" list, access is granted. If trust is switched off, the server looks in the "used key list" to see if the key has been seen before. If not access is refused. If it has been seen before - it uses this earlier trust to accept the connection and replace the IP-key binding.

Note that used keys are kept in a database for easy lookup, whereas fixed keys are kept in files for easy administration. If host keys change or are reinstalled on the dynamically allocated hosts, then this database should probably be deleted to purge keys that become illegal.

Rasheda M Menzies wrote:

My Linux clients do not use static IP addresses. This poses a problem for my Cfengine setup since Cfengine stores the public key of each client machine on the server as root-<IPaddress>.pub. It would be helpful if I could store the client public key in the format of a hostname rather than an IP address since I have DHCP clients. I was wondering how to overcome this issue.

Thanks,
Rasheda
Rasheda M. Menzies
Software Engineer
IBM Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Road, Route 134 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Tel: 914-945-2401, Tie: 862-2401
E-mail: rasheda@us.ibm.com