Re: Language Versions

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: Re: Language Versions
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:05:48 -0700

Hi Akim;

I do mean the version of C/C++/D/Java should be stated. For example int he C case there is the K & R version. Is this the relatively old version you mean. For C++ do  you mean C++98, C++03, C++11? All of these are relatively old.I expect that D and Java have the same uncertainty.

That you use relatively old versions is meaningless because you haven't specified the version. And suppose that the version baseline changes, and code generated from prior versions are deprecated, or more insidious, the semantics are altered. You've provided no guidance.

This is no more than a single line in the document and/or part of --help. It tells your audience what compilers they can use and what language elements are available. All with a single line.

Cheers;
art