Re: confusing bison error

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: confusing bison error
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 15:21:41 +0100

On Freitag, 27. November 2020 14:22:29 CET Jot Dot wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's help. Problem is resolved.
> I was asking Akim about what he said: FWIW, I prefer to explicitly
> "continue;" in these cases."If you have a moment of time Akim, can you
> explain? If not, I can do some googling on this.Naturally you're busy and I
> don't want to waste your time. By the way Christian:re: "as any email
> client can do that for you automatically, including the one you are using
> there"Do not make assumptions like that. Ask a question first.I compose as
> much emails in one year as you might do in one day.The primitive web-based
> email client that came with my account has no method to do quoting. It
> barely does the basics. There is some 'blockquote' feature that is buggy
> and it doesn't work for me.No help section to read about what this
> web-based client can do.I try to make it stand out manually but obviously I

As far as I can tell (after quick googling the web email client you're using),
your client should automatically blockquote by default when you just hit the
reply button there. If it doesn't, then you might check "Preferences" -> "All
Accounts" -> "Composing" and set e.g. "> " as prefix.

> fail at times, And please give examples. I don't know what you know.
> Otherwise I wouldn't be here.Just saying "A good editor usually immediately
> points you at such errors ..." does not really help me.Better to say: "A
> good text editor like a or b (there are many) usually immediately ..."I'm
> new at flex/bison.I was using a simple text editor.I am not aware others
> even existed - the ones you have hinted at but failed to mention.But I do
> thank you for taking the time to respond. Thanks everyone for your time and
> input.It has really helped me along my way.

Right, there is a huge amount of editors out there. But in this particular
case, when it comes to syntax highlighting, they often share a common library
to do the syntax highlighting job, which somewhat relativates the choice.

For instance Gtk (Gnome) based editors (e.g. Gedit) typically use
libgtksourceview and are doing correct Flex syntax highlighting in this case.
KDE based editors (KDevelop, Kate, Kwrite, ...) also share the same syntax
highlighting backend and also do Flex highlighting correctly.

Some proprietary IDEs do not. For instance Xcode (12.2) displays these
incorrectly as comments on column 0. I just filed a bug report with Apple.

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck