Re: Token value in custom error reporting

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Token value in custom error reporting
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 18:56:14 +0200

> Le 18 juin 2020 à 14:54, Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> a écrit :
>
> In my C++ parser, the lexer has rule
> .          { return my_parser::token::token_error; }
>
> When it is triggers, I get the error:
>  <file>:21.1: error: syntax error, unexpected token error
>
> It might be nicer to actually write out this token, though.

I have already explained what I don't think this is a good idea.

https://lists.gnu.org/r/help-bison/2020-06/msg00017.html

I also have explained that scanner errors should be handled
by the scanner.  For instance, in the bistro, you can read:

int
yylex (const char **line, YYSTYPE *yylval, YYLTYPE *yylloc)
{
  int c;

[...]

  switch (c)
    {
[...]
      // Stray characters.
    default:
      yyerror (yylloc, "syntax error: invalid character: %c", c);
      return TOK_YYerror;
    }
}

Cheers!