Re: bison and downwards compatibility

From: Joerg Hoffmann
Subject: Re: bison and downwards compatibility
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:11:24 +0200

Hi Bob,

thanks for the quick answer.

Well, now you mention it: right now I got for the first time an error for which I have absolutely no clue what to do, and which I could not resove after some (random) guessing.

I just downloaded bison version 1.875 because that is what I used on a previous system and there the code compiled. However, what I get is this:

flex -Pfct_pddl lex-fct_pddl.l
bison -pfct_pddl -bscan-fct_pddl scan-fct_pddl.y
scan-fct_pddl.y: warning: 1 useless nonterminal and 2 useless rules
scan-fct_pddl.y:115.17-33: warning: useless nonterminal: literal_name_plus
scan-fct_pddl.y:793.1-796.1: warning: useless rule: literal_name_plus: literal_name scan-fct_pddl.y:798.1-802.1: warning: useless rule: literal_name_plus: literal_name literal_name_plus
scan-fct_pddl.y: conflicts: 1 shift/reduce
gcc -c -O6 -Wall -g -ansi scan-fct_pddl.tab.c
scan-fct_pddl.tab.c: In function ‘fct_pddlparse’:
scan-fct_pddl.tab.c:1213: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘fct_pddllex’ scan-fct_pddl.tab.c:2038: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘fct_pddlerror’
In file included from scan-fct_pddl.y:845:
lex.fct_pddl.c:615:31: error: macro "fct_pddlwrap" passed 1 arguments, but takes just 0
In file included from scan-fct_pddl.y:845:
lex.fct_pddl.c: In function ‘fct_pddl_init_buffer’:
lex.fct_pddl.c:1642: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘fileno’
scan-fct_pddl.y: In function ‘load_fct_file’:
scan-fct_pddl.y:910: error: ‘yyin’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scan-fct_pddl.y:910: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
scan-fct_pddl.y:910: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [scan-fct_pddl.tab.o] Error 1

I of course have absolutely no clue about the error reported in lex.fct_pddl.c. As for "yyin" apparently that's another one of these downwards compatibility issues? Yes I can see that yyin is decleared nowhere; but that has been the case since 12 years, and I have no idea how to declare it because i don;t know the required type.

thanks,
joerg